FARD CENTRES: Stop inconvenience to people

Author(s): 

Ferozepur, November 15, 2012:  The Punjab Government has extended timely citizen centre services to the people as a part of its agenda to implement governance reforms which would save people especially the common man from the harassment due to inordinate delay for cumbersome procedures.

 

In Ferozepur District, the 95 per cent computerisation of revenue department record has been completed and copies of ‘fard’ record to the farmers at six Fard Centers, would be provided within 2 to 5 minutes, said D. D. Tarnaich, special secretary revenue and director land record, Punjab while addressing a district level meeting of the officials of the revenue department.

In this meeting, Dr. S. Karuna Raju, Deputy Commissioner, Ferozepur, Gurmail Singh, ADC (General), Gurjit Singh Pannu, SDM, Ferozepur, Paramjit Singh, SDM Gurharsahai besides tehsildars, naib tehsildars and Surinder Kumar district system manager, Ferozepur were present.

 A review of work done under Hindu Marriage (Punjab) Registration Rules 1960, entering of 'intkals' (death, demise, mutation, record of transfer of property) and decisions thereon of sub-divisions, Zira, Ferozepur and Guruahrsahai and was found to be satisfactory.

A study of work going on at Fard Centres was also made and it was found that in Ferozepur District,  95 per cent computerisation work has been completed and while appreciating the undertaking of the work, all the officers present were also advised to complete the remaining 5 per cent work immediately.

It was also informed that almost all the work stations and FardCentres have been completed and from Ist April to 31st October, 24,346 persons have obtained the copies of fards which comes to about 1,10,801 pages.  It was also revealed that Punjab Land Record Society had earned Rs.20,16,020. 

The secretary further said, with the installation of Fard Centres, the inconvenience to the people had been stopped”. 

Date: 
Thursday, November 15, 2012