Ferozepur, June 7, 2013: A mixture of Mughal’s Empire British India and Vastu Kala based, artistically constructed clock tower in the centre of the city Fazilka, known as Bangla in old times has turned 74 years old June 6. The construction of 95 feet high monument was started in 1936 and completed on June 6, 1939. The original name of this historical building is Ram Narayan Ghantaghar which was dedicated to the public by Seth Shopat Rai Pediwal RAi Sahib Madan Gopal Pediwal. It was inaugurated by the then Deputy Commissioner, M.R.Sachdeva and the function was presided over by ICS Commissioner, Jalandhar Division, MA PCS. At that time, SDM was Rai Sahib Lila Dhar Vidhyadhar and Municipal Council President, Seth Shyopat Rai.
The Ghantaghar (Clock Tower) has four gates on all the directions and the inauguration board is also in four languages. It has 82 stairs to reach to the top and there is a clock on all the four sides having the machine in the centre. It has an important place in the development of the Fazilka city. The successful agitation to form the Fazilka as district headquarters was also started from this place. More-over, it is a witness to all revolutions and struggles for the welfare of the city. Its photo is also having a place in the Punjab Assembly Art Gallery. The Municipal Council is spending a lot of money to keep beatify this monument by maintaining it from time to time and this high rising monument keeps the morale of the citizens high. But the people of the city are not taking care of its cleanliness. Some citizens misuse the building, in the shadow of darkness, which gives a foul smell and certain social organizations deface the building by pasting the handbills on the walls.
On its 74th birthday, the citizens of Fazilka salute to its founders and congratulate the Municipal Council to look after for its maintenance.